MacArthur Foundation International Prize for Creative and Effective Institutions.
Sangath was awarded the John D and Catherine T MacArthur Foundation International prize for Creative & Effective Institutions for 2008. Sangath is one of eight organisations in six countries to have received this prestigious award. The prize was given in recognition of Sangath’s contribution to community health and mental health. Sangath will now use the prize money (US$ 350,000) to achieve one of its long-standing dreams: to build a centre for child development, mental health and public health research. To that end we have just purchased a brand new property in North Goa and we now have the exciting task of renovating the property and building a new block to house our training centre.
- We were honoured with the Blessed Mother Teresa award of Rs 25 lakhs by the Department of Art & Culture, Government of Goa. This token of acknowledgement of the selfless and dedicated service rendered by various NGOs in the interest of humanity was conferred on 29 organisations as part of the one-time Golden Jubilee grants in memory of the Blessed Mother Teresa Grants. Vishram Gupte and Gracy Andrews represented Sangath at the awards ceremony on April 14, 2011, organised by the Directorate of Art and Culture in Panaji. Click here to download newspaper article
- Construction work towards our new centre in Porvorim commenced and we look forward to inaugurating it in 2013
- Several scientific papers by our authors were published in leading international and national journals, including the Lancet, Autism Research, National Medical Journal of India, Journal of Adolescent Health, Behaviour Research And Therapy and the British Journal Of Psychiatry.
- A host of new projects started, including PREMIUM, PRIME, VISHRAM, COPE, Saahas II, INCENSE, DELIVER, Chronic Disease Risk Factor, Dementia Home Care and Dementia Creative Care - all of them further our mission to improve access to care for people with mental health problems.
- We have rolled out the Manthan intervention to 14 schools in the last two years with a total of 3500 students in Goa.
- Our work has taken us to over 10 states in India with new offices in Bangalore, Bhopal, Nagpur and Tezpur
- We reconstituted our Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- We successfully completed the MANAS program, the largest trial of task-shifting for mental health care in India. The findings of the program have informed the XIIth plan District Mental Health Program
- We are represented on various government committees including the Government of India Ministry of Health's Mental Health Policy Group, the National Trust's Task Group for Autism Spectrum Disorders and the Government of Goa’s Juvenile Justice Board.
- We became member of several international networks including the South Asia Network for Chronic Diseases (SANCD), the South Asia Hub for Advocacy Education and Research in Mental Health (SHARE) and the Movement for Global Mental Health.
- We served as the state nodal agency centre for the National Trust for the Welfare of Persons with Mental Retardation, Cerebral Palsy, Autism, and Multiple Disabilities, and on the Sexual Harassment Committee at the Workplace at Dempo College of Commerce and Economics and the Goa State Infrastructure Development Corporation.
- Our recognition by the Ministry of Science and Technology as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation was renewed in 2012.